Encounter Green Turtles and Giant Clams
Embark on a heart-pumping adventure across the vibrant blue waters of the Great Barrier Reef and discover the hidden treasures that lie beneath the surface. This thrilling half-day adventure with Ocean Safari Cape Tribulation is a family-owned and operated tour created by the experienced and passionate Peter and Jan Claxton.
Explore the outer Great Barrier Reef like never before with two exclusive reef sites at Mackey and Undine Reefs, offering two hours of snorkelling in crystal clear waters. Get up close to dozens of huge giant clams and be amazed by the high chances of encountering friendly green turtles on your journey.
With a small group size and expert guides, you’ll get up close and personal with these fascinating creatures in their natural habitat, while also learning about the importance of conserving this fragile ecosystem.
You will also experience the sheer natural beauty of the Daintree National Park from your ocean view point as you enjoy an exhilarating and fun jet boat ride.
As a benchmark Eco-tourism operator and Ecotourism Hall of Fame status, the Ocean Rafting and Ocean Safari family always seek to be better in terms of environmental sustainability and helping regenerate the environments they operate in. Plant based chemicals are used to clean boats and have partnered with Parley for the Oceans, carrying out beach cleanups in the Whitsunday Islands.
They are are dedicated to two programmes:
- Great Barrier Reef Park Authority’s (GBRMPA) Eye on the Reef programme
- Coral Nurture Project, creating coral nurseries for out-planting and research which takes place using the Ocean Rafting team in the stunning Whitsunday Islands
- 2 hours of exploring crystal-clear waters and vibrant coral gardens
- Reach the outer Great Barrier Reef in just 20 minutes!
- Discover the diverse marine life with exclusive access to Mackey & Undine Reefs
- Marvel at dozens of huge, colourful giant clams up close
- High chances of spotting friendly green turtles
- In-water eco-guides helping you spot the best marine life
- Experience the stunning Daintree National Park from a unique ocean view
- Get your heart racing with an exhilarating jet boat ride
An Ocean Safari Tour
Your Snorkel Tour Itinerary
Start your adventure at the Turtle Rock Cafe, located in the heart of Cape Tribulation. Check-in and grab a coffee or even some breakfast before a reef interpretation and stroll 400m through the beautiful forest to the beach where we meet our boat.
20 minutes to the Outer Reef
As you step onto the boat, feel the rush of excitement as you prepare for a heart-pumping adventure across the vibrant blue waters of the Great Barrier Reef. Your Safari vessel is based on the original design of a rescue craft and is a rigid inflatable boat driven by 700hp engines, enabling it to race out to our first reef destination in only 25 minutes.
The Outer Reef
Arrive at Mackay and Undine Reefs, two exclusive reef sites, where you’ll spend the next two hours exploring crystal-clear waters and vibrant coral gardens. Immerse yourself in the sensory experience of snorkelling in this breathtaking location, taking in the sights of colourful marine life and the sounds of the water as you glide through it.
Keep your eyes peeled for friendly green turtles, as you are in one of the best spots for spotting these fascinating creatures in their natural habitat. With the help of your expert in-water eco-guides, learn about the importance of conserving this fragile ecosystem and the efforts being made by Ocean Safari Cape Tribulation to protect the reef and its inhabitants.
After an unforgettable snorkelling experience, enjoy the sheer natural beauty of the Daintree National Park from your unique ocean viewpoint as you race back to Cape Tribulation on an exhilarating jet boat ride. Feel the wind rushing through your hair and the saltwater spray on your face as you take in the sights and sounds of the Australian coastline.
With memories that will last a lifetime, end your half-day adventure back at the Turtle Rock Cafe, reflecting on the incredible experience you’ve just had.
Time and Tours
- Check-in: 0745 hrs
- Returns: 1230 hrs
- Check-in: 1145 hrs
- Returns: 1630 hrs
*Group bookings, please contact us.
Ocean Safari Cape Tribulation Snorkel
(MORNING Ocean Safari Great Barrier Reef Adventure)
What to bring
- Swim wear and beach towel
- Warmer jacket in winter months
- Sandals/flip-flops for short walk. No shoes needed onboard
- Cash for snacks and drinks on board
- Waterproof bag or covers for phones/cameras
- Hat and Sunglasses
- Plastic-free reusable water bottle
- Natural reef safe sunscreen*
*For more information about sunscreen damaging our reefs visit the ethically conscious www.earthturtle.com.au/blog
Know before you go
This is a family trip also but we recommend 4 years plus. The ride can be bumpy, and all part of the fun, but may not suit children under 4 years old.
Pre-existing Medical Conditions
Tours may not suitable for guests with pre-existing back, neck or hip injuries or for women who are pregnant (weather dependant) or heavily pregnant. Again this is due to the fun jet boat ride which can be bumpy at times.
Please get in touch and we can advise you.
Trip Physicality/General Health and Snorkelling
This trip rates 2 out of 5 meaning it includes some easy physical activities.
Snorkelling is a relatively low-intensity activity and does not require high levels of physical fitness to enjoy.
Please do tell us if you think any physical activities can aggravate a medical condition.
Upon boarding all guests will fill out a simple medical questionnaire that allows the crew the chance to offer many different kinds of personalised assistance throughout your day.
Itineraries may be subject to change due to weather events and unforeseen circumstances.
Queensland Public Holidays Surcharge
The following days incur a public holiday surcharge of $20 per adult, $10 per child and $50 per family (2ad and 2ch) on our Great Barrier Reef AM and PM tours.
This surcharge is only relevant to this tour and not set by Tree Hugger Travel.
2023 Dates 2024 Dates
- 26 January 23 – Australia Day
- 07 April 23 – Good Friday
- 08 April 23 – Easter Saturday
- 09 April 23 – Easter Sunday
- 10 April 23 – Easter Monday
- 25 April 23 – Anzac Day
- 01 May 23 – Labour Day
- 21 July 23 – Cairns Show
- 02 October 23 – King’s Birthday
- 25 December 23 – Closed
- 26 December 23 – Boxing Day
- 01 January 24 – New Year’s Day
- 26 January 24 – Australia Day
- 29 March 24 – Good Friday
- 30 March 24 – Easter Saturday
- 31 March 24 – Easter Sunday
- 01 April 24 – Easter Monday
Cancellation by Customer:
- If you cancel 48 hours or more in advance of departure: 0% fee
- If you cancel within 48 hours of departure: 100% fee
- Unless otherwise stated all refunds will incur a 6% administration fee.
All prices are person unless otherwise stated, are in Australian dollars, are correct at the time of publication & are subject to change without notice.
Terms & Conditions
In addition to the specific terms and conditions outlined above, upon purchase this package is subject to general terms & conditions.