Byron Bay – Australia’s easternmost town serves up something for everyone
Byron Bay, located on the far-north coast of New South Wales is the mainland’s most easterly point and home to the iconic Cape Byron lighthouse. Famous for it’s melting pot of surf culture, alternative lifestyles and hedonistic pursuits, Byron Bay offers so much more.
Exceptional wildlife encounters include kayaking with humpback whales in season, dolphins, turtles and a plethora of marine life when scuba diving Julian Rocks. On land echidnas, wallabies, brush turkeys and a diverse range of seabirds can be seen on a sunrise hike to the iconic lighthouse.
Byron Hinterland boasts World Heritage Listed Nightcap National Park and Minyon Falls, hikes to the summit of Mount Warning and numerous eco-friendly, alternative lifestyle communities and tiny, picturesque villages.
For those wanting to surf, Byron Bay even has an Eco-certified surf school, Let’s Go Surfing.
- Kayaking with dolphins, sea turtles and humpback whales in season (June to October).
- Scuba Diving Julian Rocks, the famous site for Grey Nurse Sharks, Eagle Rays and more big marine life.
- Learn to Surf: Byron has surf schools in town but you can also head to secret Spot X, the ultimate Aussie surf school.
- Hike to Cape Byron Lighthouse, especially at sunrise.
- Take Time Out: Byron is famous for Yoga and Spa Retreats
- Byron Bay is a popular destination for Australians in holiday periods, it can get busy!
- Humpback Whale Migration: For watching and kayaking with humpback whales between July and October
- Vegan friendly destination with lots of dining out options
How to get to Byron Bay
- Byron Bay Airport (Ballina): 25 minute drive south of Byron – Shuttle buses connect the airport with Byron accommodations.
- Gold Coast Airport (Coolangatta): 45 minute drive north of Byron – Shuttle buses connect the airport with Byron accommodations.
- Self-driving: Brisbane is a 2 hour drive / Sydney is a 9 hour drive
- Bus Services from Brisbane/Gold Coast: Greyhound and Premier Motors offer daily connections
- Bus Services from Sydney: Greyhound and Premier Motors offer daily connections