K'Gari – The Largest Sand Island in the World
Fraser Island or K’Gari, the indigenous name for paradise, is one of Australia’s icons. It’s striking blue freshwater lakes, crystalline creeks, giant dunes and lush rainforests make this gigantic sandbar form an enigmatic island paradise unlike anywhere else. Adventures are abound with plenty of Fraser Island Eco Tours to choose from suiting every age group and travel style.
- Enjoy spectacular views as you travel along the famous Seventy-Five Mile Beach.
- Explore famous landmarks including the sand cliffs of the Pinnacles, Wanggoolba Creek, the Champagne Pools, and Pile Valley Rainforest
- Swim in the crystal clear waters of Lake McKenzie
- Hike through unique eucalypt and tropical forests
- Spot Fraser Island’s Dingo population and log your photos with #FraserDingoWatch
- Always look out for dolphins, dugongs, and humpback whales along Fraser’s coastline
- Peak season is November to March so make sure you book popular Fraser Island eco tours in advance
- Adventure travellers and backpackers get behind the wheel on a guided “tag-along” tour and explore the island in a convoy of 4×4 Landcruisers
- More comfort? Take a 2 or 3 day guided tour staying at Eurong Beach Resort or Kingfisher Bay’s Wilderness Lodge
- Short on time? Day trips depart Hervey Bay, Rainbow Beach and Noosa daily
- Humpback Whales are drawn to the waters around Fraser Island between June and September on their annual migration to the Great Barrier Reef. The best whale tours are from Hervey Bay
- Rainbow Beach is a popular backpacker and adventure destination. Consider starting your Fraser Island eco tours here and check out a few wildlife experiences like dolphin kayaking and even scuba diving with Sand Tiger Sharks at Wolf Rock.