Port Douglas – Explore the most perfect tropical getaway
The town of Port Douglas, in stunning Far North Queensland, is a picturesque seaside haven and the perfect tropical getaway with lots of Port Douglas eco tours to choose from. Visitors relish the natural beauty and warm, balmy climate that attracts people from all around the world at any time of the year.
- Visit the Agincourt Ribbon Reefs for some of the best days diving and snorkelling on the whole Great Barrier Reef
- Try River Drift Snorkelling in the pristine Mossman River – don’t worry, there’s no crocodiles!
- Take a day trip to the ancient Daintree Rainforest, the oldest existing rainforest in the world. Find pre-historic plants and giant dinosaur-like birds called cassowaries with several Port Douglas Eco Tours operators
- Enjoy a sunset cruise watching the sun go down over World Heritage Rainforest
- Walk 4 Mile Beach for a beautiful ocean sunrise and Rex Smeal Park for epic sunset gathering
- Humpback Whales migrate from Antarctic waters to give birth within the safety of the Great Barrier Reef. Sightings are frequent of Green Island, Fitzroy Island and on-route to the outer reef between July and Septemeber.
- Minke Whale interactions with snorkellers and divers can occur between July to September with Port Douglas eco tours operators holding special permits
- Peak season runs July to September and Australian school holidays of Christmas and Easter. During these periods make sure you book popular Port Douglas eco tours and reef trips in advance
- Port Douglas is located just 1 hours drive north Cairns international airport
- The Cairns to Port Douglas coastal drive is one of the most scenic in the world
- Responsible Snorkelling: Practice your buoyancy, never touch or stand on the reef, avoid disturbing the sand.
- Beach Safe: Jellyfish or Stingers may be present in coastal waters November to May but very rarely frequented on the Outer Reef. Swim only in netted enclosures areas or use lycra suits – More information here