Lady Elliot Island Eco Tours –
An Ecotourism Success Story
Lady Elliot Island is a unique and pristine maritime environment and remarkably a recovering mining site.
In 1862 the whole island was stripped back to it’s coral base, mined for its guano based soil, a prized fertiliser and was left sad and neglected for over 100 years.
With just a little helping hand Lady Elliot Island is now a thriving eco-paradise and living proof that ethical business with a greater vision can help our environment.
The island is now regarded as one of the best snorkelling and diving destinations in Australia and is famous for its unspoilt coral reef and amazing array of spectacular marine life including resident manta rays, and important nesting ground for loggerhead and green sea turtles.
Lady Elliot Eco Tours start from Gold Coast, Brisbane, Hervey Bay and Bundaberg with short scenic flights to Lady Elliot Island located on the southern tip of the Great Barrier Reef.
- Enjoy a low level scenic flight with every Lady Elliot Eco Tour and Package
- The best Manta Ray encounters in Australia
- Snorkelling, Glass Bottom Boat Tours and Reef Walks with experienced and passionate ranger guides
- Scuba Divers paradise with over 20 dive sites and large marine life (dive site map link)
- Sunset and Sunrise when staying at least a night on Lady Elliot
- Lady Elliot is only accessible by plane from the Australian main land
- Cheaper packages are available for Hervey Bay and Bundaberg departures
- Combine your Lady Elliot stay with Reef and Rainforest packages including Fraser Island
- Gold Coast and Brisbane Packages also include stays at an exclusive nature eco-retreat in Lamington National Park
- Bird Watchers: Lady Elliot Island now has the second highest diversity of bird species on the Great Barrier Reef
- Manta Rays: Resident Populations (LEI Manta Ray Guide.pdf)
- Green and Loggerhead Sea Turtles: Resident Populations (LEI Sea Turtle Guide.pdf)
- Turtle Nesting and Laying: November > February
- Turtle Hatching: February > April
- Humpback Whale Migration: June > October (LEI Whale Guide.pdf)
- Sea Bird Season: September > April (LEI Bird Guide.pdf)
How to get to Lady Elliot Island
Lady Elliot Island is easily accessible from south-east Queensland. The island has its own airstrip and scenic flight transfers are included with every Lady Elliot Eco Tours Package for day trippers and those staying longer.
Flights operate from the following airports;
- Bundaberg Airport – approx. 30mins
- Hervey Bay (Fraser Coast Airport) – approx. 40mins
- Brisbane (Redcliffe Airport) with accommodation transfers – approx. 80mins
- Gold Coast (Coolangatta Airport) with accommodation transfers – approx. 100mins