Melbourne to Adelaide Explorer
3 Day Melbourne to Adelaide Explorer
Why we Love a Melbourne to Adelaide Explorer!
Heading to Adelaide? Ditch the idea of flying and jump on this Melbourne to Adelaide Explorer tour that takes in some of the country’s best sights including the Great Ocean Road and Grampians National Park.
This road trip, with a max of 24 fellow travellers stops by the world-class surf break of Bells Beach, spots wild koalas at Kennett River, gaze at the Twelve Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge, learn about local Aboriginal history in the Grampians National Park and hike out to some attractive waterfalls before finishing up in the quaintly charming city of Adelaide.
Your tour will include the following highlights;
- Travel along the Great Ocean Road
- Stop at spectacular Loch Ard Gorge
- Witness the Twelve Apostles near Port Campbell
- Go hiking in the Grampians National Park
- Visit the Brambuk Aboriginal Culture Centre
- 12 Apostles & London Bridge
- Koala spotting – Great Ocean Road
- Melba Gully Walk – Otway Ranges
- Swim at Lorne (Summer months)
- Loch Ard Gorge
- Brambuk Culture Centre
- Mackenzie Falls – Grampians
- Pinnacles Walk – Grampians
- Reeds Lookout (The Balconies) & Boroka Lookout
- Group Leader: Knowledgable Driver/Guide
- Transport: Air-conditioned Minibus
- Accommodation Multi-share: 2 Nights Backpacker Hostels
- Accommodation Twin-share: 2 Nights Motel
- Meals: 2 Breakfast – 1 Lunch – 1 Dinner
The Great Ocean Road
Departing Melbourne, hit the road west to Geelong and the famous surf town of Torquay. From there, begin the journey along one of Australia’s most beautiful and famous drives, the Great Ocean Road. Experience a guided walk through an ancient and rare temperate rainforest. Check out the enormous trees that are native to the area. Stop for some koala spotting, then break for lunch in Apollo Bay. Continue on to the Twelve Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge, spending the night in Warrnambool.
- Driving Time approx. 6½ hours (450km)
- Walking time approx. 2 hours (2km)
- Activity: 12 Apostles & London Bridge
- Activity: Koala spotting – Great Ocean Road
- Activity: Melba Gully Walk – Otway Ranges
- Activity: Swim at Lorne (Summer months)
- Activity: Loch Ard Gorge
- Accommodation Multi-share: Warnambool Beach Backpackers (shared facilities)
- Accommodation Twin-share: Bayside Lodge (shared facilities)
- Meal(s): Lunch
Begin the day checking out more of the Great Ocean Road’s wonders, then drive into the Grampians National Park – an area rich in Aboriginal culture and beautiful landscapes. We’ll visit the Brambuk Aboriginal Culture Centre to learn about the period known as the Dreaming, then hike up to the Pinnacles for impressive views across the Grampians.
Tonight we enjoy a traditional Aussie BBQ in Halls Gap.
- Driving Time approx. 6 hours (400km)
- Walking time approx. 4 hours (5km)
- Activity: Brambuk Culture Centre
- Activity: Mackenzie Falls – Grampians
- Activity: Pinnacles Walk – Grampians
- Accommodation Multi-share: Brambucks YHA (shared facilities)
- Accommodation Twin-share: Grampians Motel (shared facilities)
- Meal(s): Breakfast – Dinner
The Grampians to Adelaide
Hike to the base of McKenzie Falls, the highest waterfalls in the Grampians, and check out other sights such as The Balconies and Reeds Lookout. Leaving the Grampians, pass through the town of Horsham and the enchanting Loch Lel (otherwise known as the Pink Lake) before crossing the famed mighty Murray River and making the last leg of the journey into Adelaide.
- Driving Time approx. 7½ hours (550km) – Arriving in Adelaide approx. 7:30pm
- Walking time approx. 2½ hours (3½km)
- Activity: Reeds Lookout (The Balconies) & Boroka Lookout
- Meal(s): Breakfast
- Accommodation NOT included tonight – Please book accommodation in Adelaide in advance
This tour runs throughout the year every Sunday.
- Joining Tour:
Pick-ups at selected Melbourne locations from 6am
- Ending Tour (Day 3):
CEntral Adelaide at approx. 7:30pm
Is a Melbourne to Adelaide Explorer right for you?
- Backpacker accommodation consists of multi-share lodge rooms which may be mixed gender.
- Twin-share Option: Single travellers or groups travelling in odd numbers will be paired with another person of the same gender. Single supplement may be available – please enquire.
- This trip requires a low level of fitness as it involves some easier walks.
Important Tour Information
- Minimum age: 18 years in multi-share
- This trip starts in Melbourne at approximately 7am and finishes in central Adelaide at approximately 7pm on day three. Onward travel must be booked the following day.
- Itinerary may change due to cultural reasons, seasonal changes, operational logistics and accessibility.
- Due to limited space on the vehicle please restrict luggage to one day pack and one soft overnight bag/backpack weighing no more than 15kg.
- Most additional Dietary Requirements can be catered for – Please ask upon booking.
- Your tour includes meals as indicated in the online itinerary. For some meals, we will stop in country towns where you can either purchase food to eat, or food to prepare later at the hostel facilities. Your Guide will inform you of the best way to go about this and also give recommendations of where to purchase food.
What to Bring
- Wide brimmed hat, sunscreen, insect repellent
- Sustainable Water bottle/container (at least 1.5 litres)
- Walking shoes/boots,
- Toiletries, swim wear, towel
- Head Torch and Camera
- Overnight temperatures during winter can be cold and temperatures during the Australian summer can reach 40 degrees at times. Please be sure to bring adequate clothing for your visit.
- If you cancel at least 30 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 25% cancellation fee or deposit will be lost.
- If you cancel between 15-29 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50% cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 14 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100% cancellation fee.
- Unless otherwise stated all refunds will incur a 10% administration fee
We recommend you purchase Travel Insurance which would cover for such things as road closures, flight, bus or other travel cancellations that would contribute to you missing the departure of your tour.
Travel Insurance Requirements
Travel insurance is compulsory for all Adventure Tours Australia trips. It is required that, at a minimum, you are covered for medical expenses including emergency repatriation.
When travelling on a trip, you won’t be permitted to join the group until evidence of travel insurance and the insurance company’s 24 hour emergency contact number has been seen by your leader.
If you have credit card insurance your group leader will require details of the participating insurer/underwriter, the level of coverage, policy number and emergency contact number rather than the bank’s name and credit card details. Please contact your bank for these details prior to arriving in-country.
The following Eco-Accreditation from Eco Tourism Australia had been achieved.
- Climate Action Business
- Respect Our Culture (ROC)
The Respecting Our Culture (ROC) program encourages the tourism industry to operate in ways that respect and reinforce Indigenous cultural heritage and the living cultures of Indigenous communities.
ROC certified tourism operators are committed to protecting cultural authenticity and integrity, developing sound business practices, environmental protection and acknowledging Indigenous peoples spiritual connection to the land and water.
Certified B Corporations
The Intrepid Group (Adventure Tours) has achieved B-Corp accreditation.
Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
Society’s most challenging problems cannot be solved by government and nonprofits alone. The B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high quality jobs with dignity and purpose. By harnessing the power of business, B Corps use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.
Learn more about B Corporations here.
The Intrepid Foundation
This tour falls under the Intrepid Travel brand who have set up the Intrepid Foundation, supporting local organisations tackling important community issues all over the world – from conservation and wildlife protection, to education, healthcare and human rights.
To find out more please visit the foundation website: www.theintrepidfoundation.org
Where Booking Tours means Saving Rainforest
Tree Hugger Travel invest in rebuilding biodiversity hotspots around the world by funding land acquisition through the highly respected World Land Trust and their projects.
How Do We Do That ?
We fund it with Your travel bookings and our eco-rewards programme.
- Every dollar earns an eco-reward
- For example: Spend $100 ⇢ Earn 100 eco-rewards
- Reaching 750 eco-rewards will enable us to fund the permanent protection of 1/4 Acre of Real Rainforest in Real Places.
- Continue earning and every 750 eco-rewards Tree Hugger Travel will continue protecting.
☆ Recognising Your Contribution ☆
You made this happen and in recognition, You will receive a colourful and informative gift pack by post.
This includes a personalised certificate, information about the project you supported and a letter from World Land Trust thanking you for Your support.
More information? Head to our Eco Rewards Programme page.
BOOK TOURS HERE ♡ PAY NO MORE ♡ SAVE RAINFOREST & WILDLIFE
Melbourne > Adelaide
Melbourne > Adelaide
Get in touch
Please ask our friendly support team as many questions as you need.
It is possible to make reservations with our personal travel managers.
Please contact us for:
You may also like these eco-tours and experiences
Premium Great Ocean Road
6 Day 5 Night | $2,395 | Melb to Melb
Great Ocean Road Premium
1 Day from $225
Your Bookings Save Rainforest
Earn Eco-Rewards that fund the purchase of biologically important threatened rainforests around the world.
We partner with the World Land Trust to make this happen and you, our customers, will receive a personalised certificate in recognition of the land you have helped to save.