Classic 4WD Red Centre Safari
3 Day 4WD Red Centre Safari for all Ages
Why we Love a 4WD Red Centre Safari
The original Uluru tour, offering an authentic outback adventure travelling with a small group in a purpose built four-wheel drive vehicle.
As well as experiencing the wonders of Uluru (Ayers Rock), Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Watarrka (Kings Canyon), you will have the opportunity to really experience the desert – driving on dirt roads, avoiding the crowds and sleeping at Wayoutback’s remote private bush camps.
Your tour will include the following highlights;
- Visit the icons of Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon
- Participate in an Indigenous Guided walk at Uluru
- Witness Sunset and Sunrise at Uluru
- Kings Canyon Rim Walk
- Sleep under the stars in a traditional swag or Safari tents
- Remote private outback campsites
- Optional Field of Light experience at UIuru
- Professional guide and campsite host
- Air-conditioned 4WD vehicle,
- Aboriginal Guided walk at Uluru
- Camping equipment including permanent tent with beds and mattress
- Optional swag camping
- All line: pillow & pillowcase, fitted sheet, sleeping bag, towel
- 2 Breakfast – *3 Lunch – 2 Dinner
- Drinking water (please provide your own bottle)
*Those joining in Yulara on day 1: Pick-up is after lunch.
Itinerary and Sleeping
Accommodation is at remote and private campsites offering shared facilities.
Campsites include hot water, flushing toilets and permanent safari tents.
Tents include real beds, all linen, pillow and sleeping bags.
Traditional swags are also available for those wanting to sleep out under the stars.
After picking you up from your accommodation in Alice Springs bright and early, we hit the road on our adventure of a lifetime. (For those commencing the tour at Uluru we will collect you from the Outback Pioneer Hotel or meet you from your flight at the airport).
Our journey begins heading south to Erldunda travelling through the Waterhouse and James Ranges with a stop at the Camel Farm for refreshments and a Camel ride if you’re keen (own expense). On the way to Uluru we stop to view Atila (Mount Connor), a mesa tableland and the first significant rock formation of our trip.
After a stop for lunch and our arrival at the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, we travel to the base of Uluru where your guide will lead you on an interpretive walk, hearing of the Aboriginal law and religion (Tjukurpa).
Continuing on, we meet our local Aboriginal Guide who will provide a once in a lifetime authentic Indigenous cultural experience sharing stories and passing on traditional methods of painting that plays an important part in the sustainability of Aboriginal Culture. Starting with a walk to the cave paintings near Mutitjulu Waterhole, at the base of Uluru, be guided by the Anangu hearing stories of this unique landscape and the connection between the art, culture and connection to the land. We conclude at the Cultural Centre, where you may explore the displays and learn of the flora and fauna of this unique area.
Experience the famous changing colours of Uluru at sunset, complete with sparkling wine and nibbles. It’s a great time to kick back and contemplate the day and the vastness of the desert.
Afterwards settle in at our remote private camp, complete with our Endless Star dining experience before retiring to your swag under the amazing night sky or your comfortable safari tent complete with beds.
After dinner this evening, you may choose to view the Field of Light art installation (optional and additional expense).
- Those joining the tour in Yulara/Ayers Rock need to provide their own lunch.
- More information about the Field of Light can be found here.
Rising early, take a short walk to a lookout close to our campsite to view sunrise over Uluru and Kata Tjuta without the hustle and bustle of the public viewing areas before heading off to Kata Tjuta and a walk through the “Valley of the Winds”.
Afterwards, we’re off to Kings Creek Cattle Station for our second nights’ private bush camp, complete with bush toilet and shower. With nobody else for miles, this camp has stunning views out over the George Gill Ranges and gives you a real feel for the outback.
Dinner around the campfire makes for a very social time with another night out under the stars. Tonight, listen for the sound of dingoes howling in the distance while watching the desert sky light up above you.
Today we head off to Watarrka (Kings Canyon) for a mind blowing 6km walk through the towering walls, crevices and plateaus of Watarrka. We’ll visit the Amphitheatre, Lost City and the tranquil ‘Garden of Eden’.
Later we start making our way back to Alice Springs travelling on a typical outback dirt road. We’ll drop you back at your accommodation early evening and usually all meet later for a bit of a night on the town (Alice seems like the big smoke after 3 days in the bush).
For those finishing at Uluru tomorrow, a nights accommodation in Alice Springs is included tonight.
- For those finishing at Uluru (Day 4), a nights hostel or hotel accommodation in Alice Springs is included tonight.
- For those finishing in Alice Springs, accommodation is not included tonight.
Day 4 (Drop-off in Ayers Rock Resort/Airport):
Departing early from your Alice Springs accommodation we make the return journey to Ayers Rock. With a short stop along the way we will get you and your baggage to Ayers Rock Airport or Resort before saying farewell to this magical destination.
- Departs: Alice Springs Daily from 5:40am
- Returns: Alice Springs approx. 6:00pm (Day 3)
- Drop-off Yulara: approximately 11:15am (optional Day 4)
Optional Starting Point in Yulara:
- Pick-up Ayers Rock Resort or Airport at approximately 1:00pm*
- Tour fishes in Alice Springs
*Pick-up times are seasonal and depend on flight schedules
Is this 4WD Red Centre Safari right for you?
- These tours are active participation based tours, relying on the good will of all passengers to make them a success. This may include your assistance in the preparation of meals, washing up, gathering firewood and loading/unloading vehicles.
- This trip requires a moderate level of fitness as it involves a lot of walking, allowing you to really get among nature.
Important Tour Information
- Child age: 5-15 years
- Itinerary may change due to cultural reasons, seasonal changes, operational logistics and accessibility.
- Due to limited space on the vehicle please restrict luggage to one day pack and one soft overnight bag/backpack.
- Most additional Dietary Requirements can be catered for – Please ask upon booking.
- Please note that the Field of Light departure time can vary depending on the time of the year, however it is scheduled after dinner and can be quite late.
Passengers joining in Yulara (Ayers Rock Resort)
- We recommend guests arrive on the Jetstar or Virgin Australia flights into Yulara if joining the tour on the same day.
- Clients joining at Ayers Rock airport or resort will do so after lunch and therefore is not included. Please ensure you have had lunch prior to your collection as we will be travelling straight to Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park to start the afternoon’s sightseeing.
- If commencing at Ayers Rock please ensure you have one day pack and a soft overnight bag/backpack with the items you require for the 3 days packed inside as your large luggage will be stored in the vehicle/trailer and will not be accessible during this time.
- Clients joining at Ayers Rock airport or resort will do so after lunch and therefore is not included. Please ensure you have had lunch prior to your collection as we will be travelling straight to Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park to start the afternoon’s sightseeing.
What to Bring
- Wide brimmed hat, sunscreen, insect repellent
- Sustainable Water bottle/container (at least 1.5 litres)
- Walking shoes/boots,
- Sleeping bag (Hire/Purchase – please enquire)
- Toiletries, swim wear, towel
- Comfortable and casual clothing
- Head Torch and Camera
- If you cancel at least 30 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 25% cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 15-29 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50% cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 14 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100% cancellation fee.
- Unless otherwise stated all refunds will incur a 10% administration fee
The following Eco-Accreditation from Eco Tourism Australia had been achieved.
- Eco Certified Advanced Ecotourism
Australia’s leading and most innovative ecotourism products, providing an opportunity to learn about the environment with an operator who is committed to achieving best practice when using resources wisely, contributing to the conservation of the environment and helping local communities.
- Climate Action Business
Businesses have undertaken a set of adaption and emissions reduction actions but are not necessarily measuring their carbon footprint.
- Respect Our Culture (ROC)
The Respecting Our Culture (ROC) program encourages the tourism industry to operate in ways that respect and reinforce Indigenous cultural heritage and the living cultures of Indigenous communities.
ROC certified tourism operators are committed to protecting cultural authenticity and integrity, developing sound business practices, environmental protection and acknowledging Indigenous peoples spiritual connection to the land and water.
Where Booking Tours means Saving Rainforest
Tree Hugger Travel invest in rebuilding biodiversity hotspots around the world by funding land acquisition through the highly respected World Land Trust and their projects.
How Do We Do That ?
We fund it with Your travel bookings and our eco-rewards programme.
- Every dollar earns an eco-reward
- For example: Spend $100 ⇢ Earn 100 eco-rewards
- Reaching 750 eco-rewards will enable us to fund the permanent protection of 1/4 Acre of Real Rainforest in Real Places.
- Continue earning and every 750 eco-rewards Tree Hugger Travel will continue protecting.
☆ Recognising Your Contribution ☆
You made this happen and in recognition, You will receive a colourful and informative gift pack by post.
This includes a personalised certificate, information about the project you supported and a letter from World Land Trust thanking you for Your support.
More information? Head to our Eco Rewards Programme page.
BOOK TOURS HERE ♡ PAY NO MORE ♡ SAVE RAINFOREST & WILDLIFE
Alice Springs/Yulara > Alice Springs
Yulara > Yulara (4 Day Option)
Get in touch
Please ask our friendly support team as many questions as you need.
It is possible to make reservations with our personal travel managers.
Please contact us for:
You may also like these eco-tours and experiences
Your Bookings Save Rainforest
Earn Eco-Rewards that fund the purchase of biologically important threatened rainforests around the world.
We partner with the World Land Trust to make this happen and you, our customers, will receive a personalised certificate in recognition of the land you have helped to save.