Arnhem Land & Top End Adventure
Intrepid Arnhem Land & Top End Adventure
Why we Love an Arnhem Land & Top End Adventure
The northernmost section of the remote Northern Territory, Australia’s Top End packs an unbelievable punch. This is where the tropics meet the Outback, sandstone escarpments are decorated with ancient First Nations rock art, and the national parks are bursting with plunging waterfalls, monsoon forests and breathtaking waterholes.
This five-day Arnhem Land & Top End Adventure spends ample time at Kakadu National Park, Nitmiluk National Park and Litchfield National Park and includes exclusive access to Arnhem Land.
Spend time with the Traditional Owners of Wulna Country, take a croc-filled cruise along the East Alligator River, check out the spectacular Jim Jim Falls and swim in the breathtaking locations on this unforgettable adventure through Australia’s far north.
Your tour will include the following highlights;
- Visit to three national parks: Kakadu, Nitmiluk and Litchfield
- Learn about the cultural importance of these spectacular landscapes
- Enjoy time with a Bininj Guluyambi aboriginal guide
- Travel in a 4WD vehicle with only 15 passengers and local knowledge guide
- The Mawurndaddja rock art and occupation complex offers a unique insight into ancient Aboriginal culture
- Witness Rock Art spanning from the present time to 20,000 years old.
- Rumble through the Top End’s best-known national Park including the spectacular Jim Jim Falls.
- Hike through the rich greenery of Litchfield National Park, cooling off with swims in Florence Falls, Wangi Falls and Buley Rockholes.
- 5 Days Fully Guided Tour
- Guluyambi Cultural Cruise
- Mawurndaddja rock art and occupation complex
- Jim Jim Falls Walk
- Maguk (Barramundi Gorge)
- Edith Falls
- Buley Rockholes
- Florence Falls
- Litchfield National Park
- Wangi Falls
- 4 Breakfast – 5 Lunch – 4 Dinner
Itinerary and Sleeping
Accommodation is at permanent tented camps and campgrounds with shared facilities.
- Safari Tent Style – 3 Nights:
Twin share permanent tents equipped with bed structures.
- Basic Camping Style 1 Night:
Traditional camping. Pitch your 2-person tent.
You will need to bring your own sleeping bag (or pre-purchase one from us).
We leave the Northern Territory’s tropical capital Darwin in the early morning and travel to Wulna Country where you will be greeted by a Cul Cul or ‘Welcome to Country’ from the Traditional Owners of the land, the Limilngan-Wulna people. Learn about their culture as your hosts treat you to bush tucker talks and didgeridoo and basket weaving demonstrations.
Then, it’s on to the border of Kakadu and Arnhem Land for a Guluyumbi cruise along the East Alligator River. Both scenic and informative, your Bininj guide will explain the cultural importance of the river to the region’s Traditional Owners as you glide past pristine wilderness – and countless crocodiles!
Next, unveil indigenous art at a complex known as Mawurndaddja. This complex has a spectacular series of galleries with rock art spanning from the present time to many thousands of years of age. Your guide will explain the importance of this art, the methods used to perform this expressionism and the anthropological system used to date the art as you are guided through the site. Spend the afternoon exploring this historic ancient site.
Following this, head back into Kakadu for an overnight stay.
- Total driving time today is about 6 hours
- Total walking time approximately 1½ hours (including stops for informative talks)
- Sleeping: Permanent Tented Camp with shared facilities
After fuelling up with an early breakfast, it’s on to Jim Jim Falls, Kakadu’s most iconic natural attraction. It’s a challenging walk through monsoon forest and over boulders. Recharge with a cooling dip in the clear waters beneath the falls upon arrival, or simply soak up the spectacular scenery while relaxing on the beach.
After lunch head to Anbangbang and discover ancient rock art. Originally Warramal clan land, who have now passed away, Anbangbang is now looked after by neighbouring Mirarr and Djok clans.
Consider taking a scenic flight over Kakadu in the afternoon, or visit Bowli Cultural Centre..
- Total driving time today is about 4 hours
- Total walking time approximately 2½ hours
- Sleeping: Basic Camp with shared facilities
After breakfast, head to either Gunlom Falls or Maguk (Barramundi Gorge) for a swim in another pristine waterhole. Maguk flows down the steep walls of rugged gorge into a beautiful natural plunge pool. It’s a steep climb to the Gunlom Falls plunge pool, though the reward is sweeping views of Kakadu and the welcome shade of gum trees. Neither option will disappoint.
After a relaxing morning, it’s time to hit the road. Stop in the old gold-mining town of Pine Creek for lunch before continuing for another three hours to your private campsite on the doorstep of Nitmiluk National Park.
Once comfortable, have dinner with the group before relaxing in your tent for the night.
- Total driving time today is about 5½ hours
- Total walking time approximately 1½ hours
- Sleeping: Permanent Tented Camp with shared facilities
Spend the day exploring the deep Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge and ancient sandstone landscape of Nitmiluk National Park.
A wonderland of colours, Aboriginal rock art, waterfalls and wildlife, perhaps take a cruise or rental a kayak to get a closer look. Keep in mind that these optional activities are seasonal and at your own expense.
In the afternoon, travel on to Edith Falls, a hidden oasis of clear, cool waters surrounded by bronze boulders.
After a quick swim in the huge rock pools, continue to tonight’s camp located at the edge of Litchfield National Park, where dinner awaits.
- Total driving time today is about 4½ hours
- Total walking today is approximately 3½ hours
- Sleeping: Permanent Tented Camp with shared facilities
- Optional Activity: Katherine Gorge Scenic Cruise (from $94)
- Optional Activity: Katherine Gorge Canoe (from $45)
After breakfast, head to Litchfield National Park. A bit of a local secret, Litchfield is awash with tropical rainforest, gorgeous waterfalls and crystal-clear waterholes. Visit Florence Falls, Wangi Falls or Bluey Rockholes, then tuck into a picnic lunch.
Enjoy a stroll through the steamy rainforests and refreshing dip in one of the park’s gorgeous swimming holes. In the afternoon, make the two-hour drive back to Darwin where the trip ends on arrival.
If you decide to stay an additional night in Darwin, perhaps enjoy an optional night out with the group to celebrate the end of a fantastic trip.
- Total driving time today is about 3½ hours
- Total walking today is approximately 1 hour
This tour runs seasonally only.
- Departs Darwin:
9 April 2019 – 22 October 2019
- April: Tuesdays only
- May – October: Tuesday & Thursday
- Accomodation pick-ups from 6:30am
- Returns Darwin:
- Day 5 approx. 6:00pm
Is this Arnhem Land & Top End Adventure right for you?
- This trip requires a sleeping bag
- To participate in this trip you must be prepared to assist with preparing meals, cleaning dishes, collecting firewood, setting up and packing up camp every day, in all conditions.
- This trip requires a moderate level of fitness as it involves a lot of walking, allowing you to truly enjoy the surrounding nature. Some hikes are longer and more challenging than others.
Important Tour Information
- Minimum age: 12 years
- Itinerary may change due to cultural reasons, seasonal changes, operational logistics and accessibility.
- This trip has a strict luggage limit of 10kg. Excess luggage can not be carried. Please store at Darwin accommodation.
- Most additional Dietary Requirements can be catered for – Please ask upon booking.
What to Bring
- Wide brimmed hat, sunscreen, insect repellent
- Sustainable Water bottle/container (at least 1.5 litres)
- Walking shoes/boots,
- Sleeping bag (Hire/Purchase – please enquire)
- Toiletries, swim wear, towel
- Comfortable and casual clothing
- Head Torch and Camera
- If you cancel at least 30 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 25% cancellation fee or deposit will be lost.
- If you cancel between 15-29 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50% cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 14 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100% cancellation fee.
- Unless otherwise stated all refunds will incur a 10% administration fee
We recommend you purchase Travel Insurance which would cover for such things as road closures, flight, bus or other travel cancellations that would contribute to you missing the departure of your tour.
Travel Insurance Requirements
Travel insurance is compulsory for all Adventure Tours Australia trips. It is required that, at a minimum, you are covered for medical expenses including emergency repatriation.
When travelling on a trip, you won’t be permitted to join the group until evidence of travel insurance and the insurance company’s 24 hour emergency contact number has been seen by your leader.
If you have credit card insurance your group leader will require details of the participating insurer/underwriter, the level of coverage, policy number and emergency contact number rather than the bank’s name and credit card details. Please contact your bank for these details prior to arriving in-country.
The following Eco-Accreditation from Eco Tourism Australia had been achieved.
- Climate Action Business
- Respect Our Culture (ROC)
The Respecting Our Culture (ROC) program encourages the tourism industry to operate in ways that respect and reinforce Indigenous cultural heritage and the living cultures of Indigenous communities.
ROC certified tourism operators are committed to protecting cultural authenticity and integrity, developing sound business practices, environmental protection and acknowledging Indigenous peoples spiritual connection to the land and water.
Certified B Corporations
The Intrepid Group (Adventure Tours) has achieved B-Corp accreditation.
Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
Society’s most challenging problems cannot be solved by government and nonprofits alone. The B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high quality jobs with dignity and purpose. By harnessing the power of business, B Corps use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.
Learn more about B Corporations here.
The Intrepid Foundation
This tour falls under the Intrepid Travel brand who have set up the Intrepid Foundation, supporting local organisations tackling important community issues all over the world – from conservation and wildlife protection, to education, healthcare and human rights.
To find out more please visit the foundation website: www.theintrepidfoundation.org
Where Booking Tours means Saving Rainforest
Tree Hugger Travel invest in rebuilding biodiversity hotspots around the world by funding land acquisition through the highly respected World Land Trust and their projects.
How Do We Do That ?
We fund it with Your travel bookings and our eco-rewards programme.
- Every dollar earns an eco-reward
- For example: Spend $100 ⇢ Earn 100 eco-rewards
- Reaching 750 eco-rewards will enable us to fund the permanent protection of 1/4 Acre of Real Rainforest in Real Places.
- Continue earning and every 750 eco-rewards Tree Hugger Travel will continue protecting.
☆ Recognising Your Contribution ☆
You made this happen and in recognition, You will receive a colourful and informative gift pack by post.
This includes a personalised certificate, information about the project you supported and a letter from World Land Trust thanking you for Your support.
More information? Head to our Eco Rewards Programme page.
BOOK TOURS HERE ♡ PAY NO MORE ♡ SAVE RAINFOREST & WILDLIFE
Darwin > Darwin
Get in touch
Please ask our friendly support team as many questions as you need.
It is possible to make reservations with our personal travel managers.
Please contact us for:
You may also like these eco-tours and experiences
4 Day 3 Night from $1,295
Top End in Comfort
4 Day 3 Night (Enquire)
Your Bookings Save Rainforest
Earn Eco-Rewards that fund the purchase of biologically important threatened rainforests around the world.
We partner with the World Land Trust to make this happen and you, our customers, will receive a personalised certificate in recognition of the land you have helped to save.