Derwent Hunter Eco-Sail & Snorkel
Traditional Sailing - Snorkelling - Best Crew
Why we Love the Derwent Hunter
Set sail from Airlie Beach to discover the beautiful Whitsunday Islands on a legendary tall ship steeped in history.
The multi award winning Derwent Hunter offers a hands on sailing experience together with a passionate captain and crew.
Snorkel fringing coral reefs of Hook and Langford Islands, take in the pristine island seascapes and kick back relaxing onboard.
A real Aussie Tall Ship experience perfect for couples, singles, friends and families.
Your cruise will include the following highlights;
- Beautiful Whitsundays Destinations
- Sail a Real Aussie Tall Ship
- Snorkel Fringing Island Reefs
- Help Collect Conservation Data
- Discover Wonderful Marine Life
- Eco Guide Talks
- Yummy Food
- Sail 22m long Derwent Hunter
- All snorkelling equipment and wet suits
- Smorgasbord Lunch
- Morning and Afternoon Snacks
- Eco Guide
- Lots of Fun!
- Courtesy Bus Pick Up
- Marine Park Fees
- National Park Fees
On this eco-tourism adventure experienced enjoy interpretation from extremely knowledgeable guides about the ocean, the marine life you will encounter and the history of the ship.
Visit two snorkelling and beach locations within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Enjoy an eco tour of this world famous Whitsunday wonderland by snorkeling and swimming among the fringing coral reefs of the Whitsunday Islands.
Guests will get at least an hour at each of two locations every trip, for snorkelling and beach time.
Learn to sail with a true hands on experience and the opportunity to help sail this majestic vessel. Guests will be invited to help pull the ropes and even visit the Captain’s cabin to steer the ship.
An added bonus is the history and tradition of the Derwent Hunter. Enjoy a fun run down of the ship’s colourful history from her maiden voyage in 1940’s Tasmania to espionage stories and movies.
Back on board the ship, enjoy a hearty smorgasbord lunch freshly prepared on board, before helping to raise the sails and head back to shore across the Whitsunday Passage, with a cold beer or wine in hand from our licensed bar.
The all inclusive price covers snorkelling equipment, all meals including morning and afternoon snacks, snorkel suit hire, marine park fees and a courtesy bus pick up.
- 07:00am – Courtesy bus transfers commence
- 07.30am – Meet the crew at at Abel Point Marina South Village for check-in
- 08.00am – Set sail across the Whitsunday Passage, help the crew raise the sails or sit back, relax and enjoy the spectacular scenery
- 10.30 am – Enjoy a scrumptious morning tea, with chocolate cake, biscuits and seasonal treats before heading ashore or snorkelling around Langford and Hook Islands for a day enjoying nature.
- 1.30 pm – Return to the vessel for a delicious buffet lunch of cold meats, salads and tropical fruits
- 2.00 pm – Depart under sail to return across the Whitsunday Passage. Buy a drink from our licenced bar and enjoy afternoon cheese & fruit platters as you sail home
- 4.30pm – Returns to Abell Point Marina South Village for your return courtesy transfers
Departs from Abel Point Marina;
- Courtesy Pick-ups: from 7:00am
- Check-in at Abel Point Marina South Village: 7:30am
- Boat Departs: 8:00am
- Returns Abel Point Marina: 4:30pm
- Meals & Allergies: Most additional Dietary Requirements can be catered for – Please ask upon booking
- Itineraries may be subject to change dependant on weather and other circumstances
What to Bring
- Beach towel, bathing suit and sunhat
- Practical clothing, footwear & sunscreen (min. 30+)
- If you cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 24 hours of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- Unless otherwise stated all refunds will incur a 10% administration fee
We recommend you purchase Travel Insurance which would cover for such things as Road Closures, flight, bus or tour cancellations.
The following Eco-Accreditation from Eco Tourism Australia had been achieved.
- Eco Certified Advanced Ecotourism
Australia’s leading and most innovative ecotourism products, providing an opportunity to learn about the environment with an operator who is committed to achieving best practice when using resources wisely, contributing to the conservation of the environment and helping local communities.
- Climate Action Business
Businesses have undertaken a set of adaption and emissions reduction actions but are not necessarily measuring their carbon footprint.
Where Booking Tours means Saving Rainforest
Tree Hugger Travel invest in tree planting and rebuilding biodiversity hotspots around the world by funding land acquisition through World Land Trust projects.
How do we do that?
We fund it with your travel bookings and our eco-rewards loyalty programme.
$100 = 100 Eco-Rewards Points
750 points funds the purchase of 1/4 Acre (1000m²) of Real Rainforest in Real Places.
In recognition, you receive a colourful and informative gift pack by post
This includes a personalised certificate and information about the project you supported.
Head to our Eco Rewards Programme page to find out more.
Get in touch
Please ask our friendly support team as many questions as you need.
It is possible to make reservations with our personal travel managers.
Please contact us for:
You may also like these eco-tours and experiences
Your Bookings Save Rainforest
Earn Eco-Rewards that fund the purchase of biologically important threatened rainforests around the world.
We partner with the World Land Trust to make this happen and you, our customers, will receive a personalised certificate in recognition of the land you have helped to save.