Seastar Cruises Island & Outer Reef
Seastar Cruises Michaelmas Cay Adventure
Why we Love Seastar Cruises Michaelmas Cay & Outer Reef Adventure
With limited numbers, only 75 minutes to the first stop, 5 hours on the reef and two unique and very different destinations, Seastar Cruises Michaelmas Cay and Hastings Reef day tour ticks all of the boxes.
Michaelmas Cay National Park offers beautiful fringing reef with an abundance of huge giant clams and one of the most important islands on the whole Great Barrier Reef for migrating birds. Michaelmas Cay is a protected haven for nesting birds and part of the tour is being able to get up close and personal to these long haul flyers.
Your time at Michaelmas Cay ends as lunch is served and we take a short 20 minute cruise to Hastings Reef, an outer reef location. Snorkel and dive with the local inhabitants keeping an eye out for turtles and even white tip reef sharks and take in the beauty of the aquamarine seascapes.
Seastar Cruises offer a day trip with two very unique settings.
Your cruise will include the following highlights;
- Over 5 hours on the Great Barrier Reef
- Visit Michaelmas Cay National Park
- Visit Hasting Reef
- Glass Bottom Boat Tour at Hastings Reef
- Snorkel Tours at both locations
- Opportunity to Scuba Dive (cert or introductory)
- Bird Watching
- Reef and Island interpretation by our knowledgable crew
- Morning tea on boarding
- Hot /cold buffet lunch – suitable for vegetarians includes 2 hot dishes and a selection of meats for others
- Afternoon tea
- All snorkel equipment
- Wetsuit or stinger suit
- Optical masks when required
- Additional floatation from a noodle to a level 2 buoyancy vest or even life ring.
- Snorkel and dive instruction
- Fully guided snorkel tours at each locations
- Glass Bottom Boat Tour at Hastings Reef
- Reef Interpretation “Reef Brief” — Based on Reef Teach of Cairns
- Island circumnavigation — For birding observation tours
- Modern vessel design — Fast, comfortable and air-conditioned
- Photos taken daily by staff and uploaded onto facebook
SeaStar is the first vessel to arrive at Michaelmas Cay at approximately 9.15-30am and is only one of two vessels which travel daily that are permitted the right to use the Cay on their trips.
Departing the Cairns Marlin Marina for a fast transfer to your first destination, the world famous bird nesting sanctuary, exotic Michaelmas Cay and you are the first to arrive which means the perfect morning for our guests with limited visitor numbers. SeaStar Cruises Michaelmas Cay & Hastings Reef trip spend the morning snorkelling or if you choose to, dive in the calm, sheltered waters off the beach within the unspoilt fringing coral beds.
Head over to the coral cay where you can relax on the beach, snorkel or check out the amazing life of the migratory birds that call Michaelmas Cay their temporary home while they rear their chicks. Close encounters is the perfect phrase.
After a superb lunch which includes two hot dishes, salads and meats we head over to Hastings Reef and our own exclusive mooring that we call Seastar lagoon.
It is here you can experience the true wonders of this Outer Edge Reef, there are the coral caves, coral overhangs, deep water drop offs, coral canyons, swim throughs and shallow coral bays that are only metres from the side of the Seastar. Along the steep edges there are swirling schools of small fish, colourful parrot fish, turtles, giant clams, “friendly” little reef sharks, bright yellow butterfly fish, pairs of rabbit fish, countless varieties of brightly coloured damsel fish and of course, Nemo.
As well as snorkelling and diving you can join our glass bottom boat tour. As you cruise by, your skipper will be able to explain more about what is below and how the reef works all from the dryness of your comfy seat!
We depart Hastings Reef and your Seastar Cruises Michaelmas Cay and Hastings Reef trip gets back into Cairns just after 4pm.
- Departs Daily: 8:00am
- Returns approx. 4:00pm
- Accommodation transfers can be arranged at an additional cost
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Optional Extras on board:
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Range of quality merchandise
- $15pp Marine Park Fees and Port Authority Levies
- Most additional Dietary Requirements can be catered for – Please ask upon booking
- Itineraries may be subject to change dependant on weather and other circumstances
- Prices are in Australian Dollars (AU$)
Scuba Divers Medical Info
You will be required to sign a Waiver Release & Indemnity Deed onboard the vessel.
Some medical conditions may prevent you diving. You will be required to complete a waiver and medical statement prior to diving. If you would answer ‘Yes’ to any of the questions below you will need to consult a doctor and acquire a medical certificate stating that you’re ‘fit to dive’ prior to your dive trip.
- Since completing your last dive medical assessment have you suffered any illness or injury that may affect your ability to dive safely?
- Are you currently suffering any illness or injury?
- Are you currently taking any prescription medication other than the contraceptive pill?
- Is there any other condition, fact or circumstance that may affect your fitness or ability to dive safely?
Flying after diving? We recommend that you do not fly until at least midday the day after your dive trip returns. This will give you 24 hours of surface interval after diving.
- If you cancel at least 2 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 24 hours of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- Pre-booked scuba divers that fail the onboard medical questionnaire are NOT entitled to a refund.
- Unless otherwise stated all refunds will incur a 10% administration fee
The following Eco-Accreditation from Eco Tourism Australia had been achieved.
- Eco Certified Ecotourism
Tourism in a natural area that offers interesting ways to learn about the environment with an operator that uses resources wisely, contributes to the conservation of the environment and helps local communities.
Where Booking Tours means Saving Rainforest
Tree Hugger Travel invest in tree planting and rebuilding biodiversity hotspots around the world by funding land acquisition through World Land Trust projects.
How do we do that?
We fund it with your travel bookings and our eco-rewards loyalty programme.
$100 = 100 Eco-Rewards Points
750 points funds the purchase of 1/4 Acre (1000m²) of Real Rainforest in Real Places.
In recognition, you receive a colourful and informative gift pack by post
This includes a personalised certificate and information about the project you supported.
Head to our Eco Rewards Programme page to find out more.
Snorkelling & Diving Prices
Get in touch
Please ask our friendly support team as many questions as you need.
It is possible to make reservations with our personal travel managers.
Please contact us for:
- Special requirements or interests
- Holiday packages
- Group or family bookings.
You may also like these eco-tours and experiences
Your Bookings Save Rainforest
Earn Eco-Rewards that fund the purchase of biologically important threatened rainforests around the world.
We partner with the World Land Trust to make this happen and you, our customers, will receive a personalised certificate in recognition of the land you have helped to save.