SV Whitehaven Eco-Sailing Safari
Young & Fun Sustainable Travel Adventure
Why we Love SV Whitehaven
SV Whitehaven is a social sailing trip for those young and adventurous travellers wanting a sustainable but fun experience.
This 17.5m ‘Beach Boat’ was designed with cruising comfort in mind. With big open decks to sunbath on, plenty of on deck seating and a spacious aft deck boasting permanent shade, she is the ideal safari boat.
There is an emphasis on snorkelling, kayaking, sailing, eco guided island exploration and of course plenty of time enjoying Whitehaven Beach.
A feature of this cruise is a high level of reef, rainforest and wildlife eco interpretation by formally trained crew.
Your cruise will include the following highlights;
- Extensive time at Whitehaven Beach
- Hill Inlet Look out
- Bush walking
- Sea Kayaks to explore as much as possible
- Learn to Sail with exciting hands-on experience
- Sleep under the stars
- Meet like minded young travellers
- Snorkel fringing coral reefs
- Informative Talks
- Use of Sea Kayaks
- Snorkelling Equipment & Wetsuits
- Best Destinations including Whitehaven Beach
- Freshly prepared meals on-board
- Fresh Linen for each guest
- Shared Accommodation
- Marine Park Fees
- National Park Fees
Once on board our friendly crew will brief you about safety and sailing, before setting sail to cross the Whitsunday passage. Get involved with sailing, and take a turn at the helm under the guidance of our skill full crew.
After morning tea, at 11am arrive at your first snorkelling destination, our crew will give you an introduction to snorkelling and take you ashore by dinghy to snorkel from the safety of a protected beach, a great way to gain confidence in the water.
After a good snorkel a scrumptious buffet lunch of cold meats, salads and rolls is served and all freshly prepared on board.
Set sail to our overnight anchorage at Nara Inlet, enjoy kayaking activities and visit the Aboriginal Caves and learn all about the Ngaro tribe from your crew.
Enjoy a hot shower, afternoon Hor dourves, a cold beer or wine and hear our tree hugging crew tell some fascinating tales of life below and above the water on the Great Barrier Reef.
Listen out for the friendly dolphin pods which frequent the Northern islands. Enjoy a delicious dinner, and enjoy some fun on the back deck, or find a quiet spot and star gaze before falling in to bed for a good nights sleep.
Another early rise, you wouldn’t want to miss a thing in this neighbourhood – mantarays, dolphins, turtles, Whales (in season).
After breakfast, enjoy a kayaking expedition, and combine a bit of exercise with some wildlife spotting. Enjoy a race back to the ship to find the champion kayaking team on board!
After morning tea, its time to hit the water, for one last snorkelling opportunity – everyone will be experts by now, recognising and identifying even more marine wonders.
By midday its back to the ship for a rewarding lunch before setting sail back to Airlie Beach across the Whitsunday passage. Return to Airlie Beach at 3.30-4pm (depending how fast you sail!), but the fun doesn’t end here. Join your ship mates for the “After Party” were everyone gets chance to let their hair down and go a little bit wild- details provided at the end of the trip!
Departs from Abel Point Marina;
- Sunday – Wednesday – Friday
- Departure Time: 8:30am
- Returns: 3:00 – 4:00pm
Check-in: Passengers are encouraged to check in the day prior to travel between 7am-5pm at our Airlie Beach office.
- Meals & Allergies: Most additional Dietary Requirements can be catered for and some may incur a surcharge – Please ask upon booking
- Every guest is issued with an eco-bag to pack their belongings.
These bags are permitted on board only.
- Luggage Storage is offered at WSA’s check-in office at a one off minimal charge.
- BYO alcoholic drinks is allowed on this vessel
- Available Cabin and Sleeping Arrangements;
– Shared single – single bed in a dorm situation
- Itineraries may be subject to change dependant on weather and other circumstances
- Prices are in Australian Dollars (AU$)
What to Bring
- BYO drinks on non-licensed vessels (no glass bottles please)
- Beach towel, bathing suit and sunhat
- Practical clothing, footwear & sunscreen (min. 30+)
- If you cancel at least 15 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 14 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- Unless otherwise stated all refunds will incur a 10% administration fee
We recommend you purchase Travel Insurance which would cover for such things as Road Closures, flight, bus or tour cancellations.
The following Eco-Accreditation from Eco Tourism Australia had been achieved.
- Eco Certified Advanced Ecotourism
Australia’s leading and most innovative ecotourism products, providing an opportunity to learn about the environment with an operator who is committed to achieving best practice when using resources wisely, contributing to the conservation of the environment and helping local communities.
Where Booking Tours means Saving Rainforest
Tree Hugger Travel invest in tree planting and rebuilding biodiversity hotspots around the world by funding land acquisition through World Land Trust projects.
How do we do that?
We fund it with your travel bookings and our eco-rewards loyalty programme.
$100 = 100 Eco-Rewards Points
750 points funds the purchase of 1/4 Acre (1000m²) of Real Rainforest in Real Places.
In recognition, you receive a colourful and informative gift pack by post
This includes a personalised certificate and information about the project you supported.
Head to our Eco Rewards Programme page to find out more.
Get in touch
Please ask our friendly support team as many questions as you need.
It is possible to make reservations with our personal travel managers.
Please contact us for:
You may also like these eco-tours and experiences
Your Bookings Save Rainforest
Earn Eco-Rewards that fund the purchase of biologically important threatened rainforests around the world.
We partner with the World Land Trust to make this happen and you, our customers, will receive a personalised certificate in recognition of the land you have helped to save.